The Belgian Promenade is so named because it was built by Belgian war refugees. More than sixty refugees, men, women and children, fleeing their German occupied home town of Mechelen arrived on Anglesey towards the end of 1914. They showed their appreciation for the help, accommodation and welcome provided by the local people by building the promenade, which was finished in 1916. The pathway follows the Menai Strait from the town of Menai Bridge to Church Island, as shown on Google Earth.
The promenade was restored in the 1960s after erosion due to storms and high tides and reopened, very fittingly, by the last remaining survivor of the original refugees. It’s a lovely walk, especially with the added attraction of Church Island.
The modern stone circle, the Gorsedd stones, commemorate the Anglesey Eisteddfod of 1965.