From its elevated vantage point, the views from Penrhyn Castle are spectacular and far reaching. From the seascape (when the tide’s in) to Llandudno Bay and the Great Orme to views over the Menai Strait and Anglesey, or inland to Snowdonia, whichever way you look there are stunning vistas.
- Author: Gillian Hamer
- Published: November 2015 by GE Hamer
- Category: Murder, Mystery, Suspense, Police Procedural, Book Review, Books, Reading
“No one deserves to die like this. No one.”
An elderly woman is burnt to death in the remote hamlet of Silver Bay. A young woman dies of an overdose on a notorious Holyhead estate. A drugs war is about to explode. Somebody knows but no one is talking.
The second book in the Gold Detectives series finds DI Amanda Gold and her team; DS Dara Brennan, DS Kelly Morgan and DS Gethin Jones, dealing with a ruthless killer whose weapon of choice is fire. Continue reading
The Belgian Promenade is so named because it was built by Belgian war refugees. More than sixty refugees, men, women and children, fleeing their German occupied home town of Mechelen arrived on Anglesey towards the end of 1914. They showed their appreciation for the help, accommodation and welcome provided by the local people by building the promenade, which was finished in 1916. The pathway follows the Menai Strait from the town of Menai Bridge to Church Island, as shown on Google Earth.
Built in the 12th century, the church originally perched on the end of a peninsular between two bays. Over the years the sea slowly eroded the peninsular turning it into the tiny island it is today. The church eventually fell into disrepair and became a ruin until it was restored around the mid 1900s. The elements are again causing damage to the building and another appeal has been launched to repair the building. However, the church is still in use and is popular as a wedding venue. Continue reading
The Menai Bridge was the first iron suspension bridge in the world. Built by Thomas Telford, work began in 1819 and was completed and the bridge opened in 1926. Up until then the only crossing was a dangerous one by boat.
Just to the middle-ish left of the picture, just about visible, is a tiny church, tucked away at the base of the hill. Continue reading